My Husband’s Folder Was Written With A Pen That A Nurse Charged Me GHC 20 For, But He Died—Wife Cries

It’s odd to learn that a patient must pay for a pen used in writing a folder in a hospital. This is a particularly difficult time for a family that has lost a relative at Effiankwanta Hospital, the Western Region’s main referral institution.

The man, identified as Paul Okine, became ill and was taken to the SDA Hospital in Takoradi. His illness worsened, and the facility’s health officers referred him to another private hospital. After a few hours there, his condition was not improving, therefore he was referred to the Efiankwanta Regional Hospital.

The on-duty nurses and doctors rapidly organized oxygen to save his life. He was given around five liters of oxygen at a time, and his condition improved over time.

Various tests were carried out to determine the true reason of his illness, and the physicians and nurses informed his wife, Margaret Okine, that he had tested positive for coronavirus.

The revelation stunned both the husband and wife, but no documentation was provided to show that the husband had tested positive for coronavirus. He was soon transported to the coronavirus treatment clinic in an ambulance.

According to the wife, the on-duty nurse requested that the family pay GHC 100 as an ambulance cost, but that was not all. She told her that she needed to spend another GHC 20 for the pen she’d need to prepare the document (folder) for his stay at the coronavirus treatment center.

The wife and the rest of the family were taken aback at that point because the pen had most likely been purchased by the hospital for everyone’s use, thus paying GHC 20 for it was a big deal. The price of a pen on the market, however, is a mystery to many people.

But, because her husband’s health was so important to her, she had no choice but to pay. The so-called nurse on duty did not issue a receipt, and the ambulance was taken to the coronavirus treatment center.

Soon after arriving at the center, another test was performed, and the nurse on duty, Kate, informed them that the spouse had tested negative for coronavirus.

The wife was perplexed since, despite the lack of documentation, an earlier test by a doctor had confirmed the husband’s positive status.

She left her spouse and returned home to cook for him. Someone dialed her husband’s phone number and informed her of the awful news. On suspicions that he had left the center unobserved, the husband tragically collapsed and died.

The husband was convinced he didn’t have coronavirus and chose to flee the treatment facility. He passed out along the way and died instantly.

The family is dissatisfied with the situation and demands a full inquiry. Meanwhile, Mr. Christian Baidoo, the Effiankwanta Regional Institution’s Public Relations Officer, has advised the family to remain calm as the hospital prepares to open.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.