Asaana” is a crisp drink prepared from fermented corn and caramelized sugar that is popular throughout the country. It was originally known as “lixa” by the Eweland, but it is now known as ” Asaana ” by the Gas.
The indigenous meaning of ” Asaana ” is ” It is Tasted. According to legend, this street drink began when the fermented maize stock used to make kenkey was combined with caramelized sugar. “Asaana” is best preserved in large calabashes with large ice blocks inside. It’s cool and refreshing on a hot day, and it’s even better when served with ice cubes and evaporated milk.
Some people even add peanuts or bread to this beverage, which makes it a great lunch snack on a hectic day.
During significant occasions such as weddings and funerals, ” Asaana” is sometimes served as an appetizer or dessert.
It was one of my favorite beverages as a kid, and I always wanted to learn how to make it.
Follow us as I walk you through this simple Asaana recipe.
1 cup corn that has been fermented
11/2 cup sugar ( brown or white)
a fifth of a liter of evaporated milk
a litre and a half of water
flour (1/2 cup) (optional)
- In a blender, blitz the corn for a second to break it up. Ascertain that the maize does not become flour.
- Place the corn in a covered bowl with enough water to cover it and soak for 3 to 5 days.
- Sieve the corn and pour it into a coverable bowl, watering it every day and night to encourage sprouting.
- Dry the fermented corn in the sun or at room temperature, if possible.
- Combine the fermented corn dough with the juice from the strainer and set aside for 2 days.
- Place the fermented corn in a saucepan, add the juice from the fermented corn dough, and cook for 45 minutes over medium heat, making sure the corn is thoroughly cooked.
- To enhance the formation of foamy bubbles, sprinkle some flour on the mixture.
- Pour the sugar into the saucepan and cook for about 10 minutes, until it has caramelized.
8 Combine the fermented Corn juice and the caramelized sugar.
9.Stir for 5 minutes and then remove from heat. After then, remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool entirely.
- Pour into an ice-cube-filled glass, top with milk, and enjoy.
Watch video below
Thanks for reading.
Please comment and share to create employment for someone.