One person has been found dead after a fire destroyed parts of Asafo BB slum in Kumasi, in the Ashanti Region, on Sunday, May 2.

The inferno is believed to have been started by a couple cooking in one of the wooden shacks in the area.

The Police and fire service who rushed to the scene to help put out the fire discovered the charred remains of the victim.

Speaking to JoyNews, one of the fire service personnel said that the area is known for pillow production thus the cotton used in the process ignited the flame.

DO 1 Rashid Issaku said that “at 14:43 hours we received a distress call from the Divisional Command that there was an outbreak of fire behind Cocobod. So immediately a fire engine was dispatched.”

“But, when the fire engine came, we realized that one fire engine was not enough, we called for two more. So far we have managed to get the fire under control and the fire has finally been extinguished.”

The deceased was identified as an 18-year-old driver’s mate whose name is given only as Nana Yaw.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: