ACCIDENT SCENE: 7 Things You Need to Do After a Car Accident
It is not uncommon for a driver in a car accident to panic, or not know what to do. When injuries occur, emotions run high, and the people involved often forget to take important steps. It is vital for drivers to know what to do after a car accident, to prevent further injuries, and to avoid breaking the law. After a car accident, all drivers involved should do the following:
- Remain at the Scene – all drivers involved in a car accident should remain at the scene until police say it’s ok to leave.
- Check for Injuries – check to be sure everyone involved is uninjured. If anyone is injured, call 191 for help. Do not move injured parties, as this may cause more injuries.
- Collect Information – all drivers should gather the names, addresses, phone numbers, and insurance information from all other drivers involved. It is also a good idea to take a picture of the other driver’s license, and license plate.
- Take Photos – once everyone is safe, it is a good idea to take pictures of all vehicles involved, as well as the area where the accident occurred.
- Make an Insurance Report – as soon as possible after the accident, all drivers should notify their insurance companies of the accident. The insurance company will inform their insured of the next steps to follow.
- Gather Bills and Repair Estimates – it is important to keep track of expenses related to property damages and injuries caused by the accident. This includes obtaining medical bills, written estimates or receipts for damage repair, and other documentation.
- Obtain Counsel – in some cases, especially if there are injuries or a great deal of property damage, the hiring of an experienced attorney is recommended. This is especially true if a driver faces criminal charges related to the accident.