Drug: A drug is any chemical substance, natural or synthetic which when introduced into the body can produce mental, physical, emotional, or behavioural changes.
Drug Abuse: The use of illegal drugs or over-the-counter drugs for purposes other than those for which they are meant to be used, or in excessive amounts.
Examples of Drugs
Some causes of drug abuse in Ghana.
- Family history of addiction. Drug addiction is more common in some families and likely involves genetic predisposition.
- Mental health disorders
- Peer pressure
- Early use
- Emotional struggles
- Lack of family involvement
Effects of Drug Abuse
Abusing a drug or misusing a prescription medication, can lead to “Short & long term” effects on the user.
- Insomnia or sleeplessness
- Changes in cognitive ability
- Blood pressure & increase alertness
- Changes in way of talking or slurred speech
- Difficulty in maintaining personal hygiene.
- Respiratory problems
- Liver disease
- Kidney problem
Amoung the numerous ways to crub away the abuse of drugs, below are some few of them;
- Regular check-up on prescribed drugs for patients to avoid overdose by the patient.
- Public alertness on the effects of drug abuse
- Evaluation and treatment for co-occuring mental health issues such as anxiety and depression.
Thanks for sharing!!