The National Democratic Congress (NDC) is a social-democratic political party in Ghana, founded by Jerry John Rawlings, who was Head of State of Ghana from 1981 to 1993 and the President of Ghana from 1993 to 2001.
Following the formation of the Provisional National Defense Council, which ruled Ghana following the military coup d’ètat on 31 December 1981, which there was pressure from the international community to restore democracy.
The NDC was formed as the ruling party ahead of elections in 1992, in which Rawlings was elected president, and in 1996 Rawlings was re-elected as the NDC candidate which his second term ended in 2001.
However, the NDC lost the presidency in the 2000 election to NPP, and it was not until the 2008 elections, they regained power with John Atta Mills as its candidate.
On 9 December 2012, the Electoral Commission of Ghana declared NDC candidate John Dramani Mahama to be President-elect after a hotly contested race in which he won 50.7% of votes cast.
Which on 9 December 2016, Mahama lost power to the current ruling party NPP.
We have about three months left to the December polls which the New Patriotic Party (NPP) on August 22 launched its 2020 manifesto ahead of the December 7 polls.
The National Democratic Congress (NDC) however, says it will launch its manifesto on Monday, August 31, 2020.
The announcement follows the New Patriotic Party (NPP)’s manifesto launch over the weekend.
The National Communications Officer of the party, Sammy Gyamfi who disclosed this at the 11th edition of the NDC’s Weekly Press Briefing said the document has been presented to the party’s manifesto committee.
However, prior to the date scheduled for the launching of their manifesto, has a highlight of NDC 2020 manifesto leaked before making it available to the public.
1. All national service personnel who wish will be employed permanently after service.
2. Compulsory retirement scheme for informal sectors.
3. One school at each district will offer technical and agriculture course
4. All formal sectors will enjoy cup 30 retirement scheme.
5. Teachers will get clothes, accommodation and transportation allowance 10% each , in all 30% salary increase.
6. Free education from KG to SHS, No admission fee at nursing, teaching and technical college/Universities
7. Double road linking all region capitals
8. Allowance for assembly members and elections of DCC
9. Computer and science lab for all schools from basic to tertiary
10. One District, One State Farm and processing factory
11. Loan scheme for local manufacturers, business men and women, reduction of taxes.
12. Complete all abandoned projects
13. Reintroduction of Free fertilizers and seedlings to farmers
14. Dualize Accra to Aflao, Cape Coast, Kumasi roads.
15. National Apprenticeship Program: 100,000 Youth to Benefit with monthly Stipends
16. Free Primary Health Care for children and the aged
17. Agenda 1million jobs for the youth.
18) BIG Push: $10Billion Infrastructure Program
19. Reverse the privatisation of the Kotoka International Airport
18. End insecurity, impunity, lawlessness and sanitize the security services
19. Legalize Okada business
20. Restore the integrity of Electoral Commission, National Security and Judiciary.
21. Operation Sting to fight corruption
22. Protect the Citizenship of all Ghanaians and treat all Tribes equally.
23. Double the capacity of 37 Military Hospital
24. Construct two international-standard Infectious Diseases Centres.
25. Establish two additional international research centres.
26. Establish a National Infectious Disease Response Plan.
27. Make Ghana safe for journalists.
28. Pay all depositers of all banks collapsed by the Nana Addo NPP government including Mensgold
29. Build Regional Hospitals in all the Newly created Regions
30. Build Technical Universities in all the newly created Regions.
31. Free Technical & Vocational Education.
32. Cancel Teacher National Service program introduced by Nana Addo NPP government and ensure automatic postings for teachers
33. Cancel Teacher Licensure Exams
34. Continue the Payment of Teachers & Nurses allowances
35. Cancel the double track system in the free SHS to ensure quality education
36. Increase Cocoa producing price in the first cocoa season and also build Cocoa Processing Factory
37. Free duty for all commercial Cars
38. Drastically Reduce the size of ministers in government
39. Pay Assembly men monthly allowance
40. Establishment of State farms in all districts
41. Employ permanently more Arabic language teachers into Islamic schools
42. Standardize the teaching of Arabic language in all Islamic schools nationawide
43. Make Arabic examinable by 2022 in the BECE exams
44. Revise and strengthen the work of Inner City and Zongo Development
45. Provide adequate text books and TLMs for all basic schools
46. Expedite work on upgrading applications at all public service offices.